Warm rye cereal with apple and hazelnut
- 1 cup rolled rye flakes or old fashioned rolled oats
- 2/3 cup cold water
- 7 tbsp apple juice
- 1 large egg white
- 1/2 apple, cored and coarsely shredded (eat the rest of the apple while the cereal is cooking)
- 2 tbsp toasted hazelnuts, skinned and coarsely chopped
- 2 tbsp low-fat plain skyr (or Cheater’s Skyr) or low-fat Greek Yoghurt
- Bring the rye flakes, water, and apple juice to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Cook over medium-low heat, stirring often, for 5-7 minutes, or until the rye flakes are tender.
- Turn off the heat, stir in the egg white, and set aside for one minute.
- Serve topped with the grated apple, hazelnuts, and skyr.
- To toast and skin hazelnuts, preheat the oven to 180°C/ 350°F. Spread the nuts on a baking sheet and bake, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes, until the skins split. Transfer the nuts to a kitchen towel and let cool for 10 minutes. Use the towel to rub the skins off the nuts. Don’t worry if some skin remains. Let cool before chopping.