Roasted carrot and spinach pilaf with fragrant spices
- 12 Dutch carrots
- 1/4 cup Grape seed oil
- 3 tsp Garam masala
- 2 Small onions, finely sliced
- 2 cups SunRice Low GI white rice
- 2 cups Hot reduced-salt vegetable stock
- 1 1/2 cups Water
- 2 cups Salad spinach leaves, loosely packed
- 60 g Toasted flaked almonds
- Preheat oven to 200 C (fan 180C). Line a large baking tray with baking paper.
- Trim the carrots leaving a little of the fronds. Toss carrots in half of the oil with the garam masala added.
- Arrange carrots on the baking paper and roast for 15 minutes or until cooked. Slice lengthways.
- Meanwhile put the onion in a pot with the remaining oil and cook until golden. Stir in the rice, stock and water. Season to taste.
- Bring to a simmer and put a tight fitting lid on the pan. Cook over a low heat for 15 minutes or until all the stock has been absorbed.
- Lightly stir through the spinach leaves and carrots. Let stand for 5 minutes and then sprinkle over the almonds and serve.
Gi estimate: Low