Light Asian beef soup
- 500 g lean beef strips
- 120 g dried soba noodles
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 L (8 cups)Asian noodle soup base* (we used Beef Pho soup base in this recipe)
- 1 red capsicum, thinly sliced
- 125 g fresh baby corn, halved lengthways
- 150 g shitake mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 150 g snow peas, trimmed, halved diagonally
- 1 bunch Asian greens, leaves separated
- 100 g bean sprouts, trimmed
- Red chilli,thinly sliced, green onions, thinly sliced, coriander sprigs, to serve
- Prepare noodles according to packet instructions. Drain and set aside.
- Heat oil in a wok or large non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook beef strips, in batches, for 2-3 minutes or until browned. Set aside on a plate loosely covered with foil.
- Meanwhile, place soup base into a large saucepan. Bring to the boil over high heat before reducing heat to a simmer. Add capsicum, corn, mushrooms, snow peas and Asian greens and simmer for 2 minutes or until just tender.
- Divide noodles and cooked vegetables between bowls. Top with beef and ladle over hot broth. Serve topped with sprouts, chilli, green onions and coriander.
- The heat from the broth will reheat the beef.
- Serve with hoisin sauce for extra sweetness or hot chilli sauce for extra heat.
- Use your choice of noodles in the soup – egg, ramen, udon, rice or vermicelli noodles would all work well.