Black bean soup
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 tsp fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp fresh coriander, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped or crushed
- 2 carrots, finely diced
- 1 red capsicum, finely diced
- 6 tbsp grated parmesan
- 1 cup black beans
- 6 tsp natural yoghurt
- 400 g sweet potato, diced
- 1 corn cob, kernels removed
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 litres vegetable stock
- chipotle sauce to taste
- 1 tbsp tamari
- In a bowl stir the yoghurt into 300ml of water. Add the beans, add more water to ensure they are well covered and soak for at least 6 hours, or overnight. Discard the soaking yoghurty water once used. Rinse the beans.
- Heat the oil in a large soup pot. Sauté the onion gently for 3 minutes or until translucent, don’t brown. Add the thyme, cumin, coriander and garlic and cook for another 3 minutes.
- To the pot add the beans, sweet potato, carrots, corn, capsicum, stock and tomato paste. Cover the pot and slowly cook for 3 hours, checking the liquid now and again, adding extra water if it gets low.
- Add the tamari and chipotle sauce to taste, balancing the flavours to your liking.
- Serve the soup with a dollop of natural yoghurt, chopped coriander and a grating of parmesan and enjoy!